You’ve always wanted to simplify your finances. Whether that is through simplifying your investments or creating an emergency fund, now is the time to finally do so. The first week of August is Simplify your Life week and Heartland Bank is bringing you tips for simplifying your financial life.
- Buy and hold- the market is a fickle thing, so quit trying to “time” the markets. It only causes additional stress.
- Make a list of all your possessions- okay, so making the list may not be simple, but the purpose is simple. You can see which of the things you own are unnecessary and it will give a much needed wake up call to consume, spend and own less. Then…
- Sell half of your list in a month- have a garage sale, put your stuff up on eBay, list it on Craigslist. You’ll make some cash, reduce storage costs and learn what you really need to live well.
- Create and emergency fund- this takes discipline for many people, but there may come a time where you’ll be thankful you have it. Three to six months of living expenses should give you peace of mind.
- Simplify your investments- “diversified” and “simple” aren’t mutually exclusive. You should be able to describe what you’re investing in and how it works.
- Whatever it is you do well, do more of it- what gives the most value to your employer? Find out and replicate it as much as possible. No matter where you’re at in life, find out what extra value you offer and focus on that. You can’t be everything to everyone.
How can you implement these tips into your life this week? Share with us!