With harvest season upon us, Heartland Bank wants to take this time to celebrate all of the hardworking farmers in Iowa! Farming and agribusiness have been the backbone of Iowa’s economy for decades. Our local farm families and agribusinesses play a crucial role in the health of our economy and growth of our communities.
Because Ag is so important in communities across Iowa, here are some fun facts about agriculture in our great state, according to the US Department of Agriculture:
- Iowa ranks 1st in the country for corn production and 2nd in soybean production.
- Iowa farmers harvested 13.3 million acres of corn (2.4 billion bushels) in 2014.
- Iowa corn crop values $8.2 billion.
- With over 21 million hogs, Iowa ranks first in the country with the highest inventory of hogs.
- We also rank first in egg production.
- Not only do we maintain the highest population of hogs, but we also hold the number one spot for producing the highest quality hogs in the country.
- In 2014, Iowa produced over 4 billion pounds of cow milk.
- Iowa has 55,875 square miles of land. Over 90% of Iowa’s land is used for agriculture.
- Iowa ranks second in total agricultural exports.
- Iowa farmers exported more than $10.2 billion worth of agricultural products in 2013.
With Ag playing such a huge role in Iowa’s economy, we at Heartland Bank aim to support our local farmer’s by offering a variety of Ag banking and lending services. Our agribusiness and farming specific electronic banking services allow you to bank anywhere, any time. Looking to expand your operation or purchase new equipment? We have financing options that can be tailored to meet your specific needs.
If you have questions about our Ag services and would like to speak with a Banker from Heartland Bank, please feel free to stop by or give us a call today!
Heartland Bank, Member FDIC